Monday, October 5, 2009

What's next?

The question everyone has been asking me since the finish of Augusta has been "what's next?" I have tossed around a few different ideas in my head - would it be an upcoming 1/2 marathon, full marathon, another half iron, or possibly a full Ironman. I answered this question today. From the very beginning, I had the dream of doing an Ironman race, not just a half, but a full Ironman - 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, 26.2 mile run. Today, I took the next step. I am officially registered for Ironman Louisville.

http://www.ironmanlouisville.com/

The anticipation is already killing me. I have a plan to follow and am really looking forward to the challenge. I have learned so much from my training for Augusta 70.3. The things I found to be most important are: #1- be strong on the bike. In order to have a good race, a strong bike is crucial. For me, this is where I will focus the majority of my time this winter. My plan is to do a bunch of cross training including road riding, mountain biking, trainer rides, and leg strengthening at the gym to name a few. #2 remain consistent. This is the area that is difficult with work and family commitments. Obviously I would not be able to do this without the support of Sara and the rest of my family. I will not let my training affect my work performance and will not sacrifice it for any training. I don't live to work. I work to live and pay the bills.

After completion of this race, my question to myself will be: What's next? My dream was to attempt and complete an Ironman. I don't have the desire or time to be a true competitor in my age group. Marking it off my "list of things to do" will be good enough. I plan on competing in other tri's (sprint, olympic, and possibly half iron distances), but don't have the desire to do another Ironman. Once you become an Ironman, nobody can take that away from you.

Unlike Augusta, I don't have a definitive goal except to finish. I keep tossing around the idea of finishing in the daylight (which means around a 13 hour finish.)

No comments: