Saturday, January 30, 2010

Good stuff / Not so good stuff

I had a great training week last week. We had temps in the 60's and even 70. I was able to get out on my bike and get in two 35 mile rides and even sandwiched in a run between the two. By the end of the week, my legs were spent. Obviously one of the most important aspects of long distance triathlon is conserving energy through being as aero as possible. I decided to check out how aero I look while on my trainer. Although I am no expert, it looks like I could gain a little from a proper fitting on the bike. Therefore, I have a bike fitting set up for Monday at Carolina Triathlon. I am really looking forward to what we find.

Unfortunately with the good comes the bad. My goal for this week was to focus on my run. I had plans to do four or five runs, with the longest being around 8 miles. My first run on Monday was great- 5.1 miles at a 9:10/mile pace. The second run felt real good until the end. I had just finished 5.2 miles and had 1/2 mile to go. At this point, my right achilles begins to act up and just flat out hurt. This time, it was not at the insertion point, but about 1/3 of the way from my heel. That is what happened last spring when I decided to go to therapy. I really don't want to go again and frankly can't afford to go again. For now, I am spending my time in the pool, on the bike and stretching like crazy. I am going to take off for the rest of the week and schedule an appointment with a friend who is a sports doc at Steadman Hawkins. Hopefully, he will give me some good news.

No comments: