Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Typical winter holiday training

My training has been kind of sporadic lately. I have not missed consecutive days, but have taken some days off in between sessions. I finally finished putting down the tile in my laundry room that I have been working on since May. It is a killer on the hamstrings!!! I actually had to take off a day here and there because they were so tight. The bike has been my weakest and most under trained area. Since it rained on Monday, I was not able to get in a ride. I am looking to get a trainer to allow me to work inside during inclement weather. I have a pretty strong lower body so I don't think I'll miss too much by limiting my biking for now. My main area of concentration right now is swimming. I have been working quite a bit on my breathing technique. I have developed some left shoulder pain since I only breath on the right side. After doing some research, I found that alternating my breathing should help this. After working on it during my past two swim sessions, I am getting more comfortable with it. During my second session, my swim times have actually decreased, but I feel expend more energy while getting used to it. My last session was 1500m in 27 minutes. Not too bad. As far as running goes, I am looking for a good half marathon plan. I am going to try to work out doing a half marry race in February in Myrtle Beach. The course is flat and should be a good test for my first race. My runs have been pretty good. I am looking to increase my frequency. My past few runs included Monday (an easy 4 miles in 40 minutes) and Thanksgiving day I ran about 6 1/2 miles. Both felt pretty good. No real issues. Sunday or Monday I might shoot for another 8 mile day. Things are looking good. Sometimes it is difficult to stay motivated since my "A" race is 10 months away. I have to keep the long term goal in the back of my mind and the short term goals as my main focus. Let's go run!!

No comments: