Monday, January 12, 2009

Good training week

I have had a pretty solid week of training this week, covering all three areas. I decided to throw in a second swim workout and will probably do another today. Running has felt really good. I did my long run last Sunday and have run three days since. I've had a couple good bike trainer session as well. I was going to ride outside today, but with the upcoming week being cold, I decided to keep my trainer tire on the wheel instead of switching back to the road tire. Unfortunately I have yet to find another wheel to put my trainer tire on. Most cheap wheels average around $100.00. That is too much to spend for what I am using it for.

In addition to the regular workouts, I have also started incorporating strength training following my swim workouts. I typically work my shoulders, lats and core. I found some great core exercises that I really seem to like.

Some really good news regarding my running.....Since I got my new shoes (thanks SB), I have not had any IT Band issues. It seems like this is posted several times on tri websites asking for suggestions on how to relieve this issue. Most recommendations are to not run for several weeks. I had my right ITB flare up with my old shoes, but nothing yet from the new ones. (Currently knocking on wood.)

I did make my decision regarding hockey. I am semi retiring (more than likely Brett Favre style w/o all the crying. I'll be back. It's just a matter of when.) The way I see it, I could completely negate all of the training I have put in, in one second, by getting hurt. It was definitely a difficult decision considering I have been playing for 10 years and with many of the same people. I might have to go cheer on the guys and drink a beer with them after the game.

No comments: