Sunday, October 26, 2008

Blah day

Even though I had absolutely no desire or energy, I decided to go for a swim last night. I was freezing on the pool deck. So much so, my teeth were chattering so hard, I thought they were going to crack!! I jumped in pretty quickly hoping they might have turned the heat up a little, but did not. I got even colder. It was the cold that goes straight into you chest and makes your body shake. Brrr. I discovered that chattering teeth are not good for aerodynamics while swimming!! Just in case you were wondering. I was this way for the first 100 meters, then I finally warmed up. For the first 500, I had another bad case of swim technique analysis. I needed to just go swim!! I know how. (And actually pretty well.) Finally I began to concentrate on what is in front of me and began to go pretty good. I did the second 500 in about 8 minutes and finished pretty strong with the last 500. A total of 1500m. Nothing great, but nothing terrible, but again, I made the effort to go.

Today was more my cross training day. I had a fun hockey game. It was our final game of our regular season. (kind of a short one this time). We won and wrapped up first place in our league. I had a goal and an assist. This league is really above my ability, but the guys are a lot of fun and help to improve my skills. I would say most of the guys played in levels from high school to professional hockey. Most being the higher. A couple of the guys and myself are talking about putting together a team in a slightly lower division where we can play against different players and score more goals.

I found my weakest "tri" muscles are my hip flexors and really need to work on them. Hockey is great for that and it is also good for my aerobic conditioning. I always tell people to imagine skating with all the equipment on, put on an extra 25 lbs on your body and run as fast as you can for 2 minutes at a time. Rest for 2-3 minutes and do it again for 60 minutes. Great workout. Good times. Maybe a little swim again tomorrow.

No comments: