Saturday, November 8, 2008

Good week

I had what felt like an unproductive week, but am starting to see after analyzing my performances they really weren't that bad. Tuesday I decided to kind of punish myself. My gym workout consisted of some leg strengthening by biking, running, weight training. I started with the stationary bike and did hill work keeping myself in the saddle. How bout that? I'm starting to sound like a biker. I used to say seat. When I think of saddle, I think of horses, but that's what they call it. The hills were moderate and gave my quads a real good burn. It felt great. After about 10 miles of this, I switched to the treadmill. I decided that since I could still walk after the bike, I would try some incline work while running. Here was my workout:

1 mile: incline @ 5.0, speed @ 5 mph
1.5 mile: incline @ 1.0, speed @ 7.0 mph
2.0 mile: incline @5.5, speed @ 6.0 mph
2.5 mile: incline @ 0.0, speed @ 7.5 mph
2.75 mile: incline @ 5.5, speed @ 6.5 mph
3.0 Cool Down

Yes, it was hard. Yes it burned. The problem was that when I finished, I still had some energy and decided to punish myself more by doing some squats. I like doing these on a half swiss ball. I'm not sure what they are called. This helps with my balance and core and leg strength. I also hold a 20 lb medicine ball straight out in front while doing them. When I finished, my last set, my legs felt like Jello. That told me to call it a night.

Wednesday was a great run day. I ran around my neighborhood and did just under 5 miles. My time was 39 minutes. I was pretty happy with that considering it is all hills. I'm going to do the same run today.

Friday was a great swim day. I made it 2500 meters (100 laps) in 50 minutes. That is my long swim so far. This puts me 600 meters over my HIM distance. My goal is to reach 3500 meters by April and then work on decreasing my time.

The next few days should be good training days. My plan is to swim more tomorrow morning and play in my hockey game tomorrow night. We are playing in our league championship. - Go Redliners! Monday will be a bike day. I'm looking for 30-35 miles with a 1-2 mile run following.

Time to throw on the running shoes.

No comments: