Friday, July 3, 2009

One foot in front of the other

I have been doing my best to really stick to my plan lately. I just don't know how people can commit to doing a full IM when you take into account all of the time dedicated to training. I am having a hard time working my schedule for an HIM. My plan has called for quite a bit of running lately. Most runs are on the short side (in the 3 mile range), but I am currently on my recovery week.

Last Monday, I got in a great workout. My plan called for a 2 hour ride and I was able to get in a full 2hr 38 min ride. This brought me to 48 miles. (Only 8 more miles to go for my race distance.) I wanted to hit the 50 mile mark, but it was really hot, I was out of water, and was starting to feel the effects of the heat, so I didn't chance it. Once I finished, I stopped by a convenient store and grabbed a Gatorade and some water. By the time I got home, I had finished both bottles and was feeling pretty good. Although my legs were a little tired, I could tell they had plenty of life left in them. My plan called for a scheduled 30 min run later, but figured "what the heck - let's do it now." After about 30 min at home, I headed out on my run. - Not a good move. By the 2 mile mark, I had to stop and take a break in a shady patch on the side of the road. It was not a real smart move on my part, but I forgot to grab my Fuel Belt, which carries my water. I was out in 92 degree heat, without any water. That will teach me. After cooling down for a couple minutes, I decided to finish up my run and made it back home.

I really did learn a bunch from this day. I found that I need more water / supplement drink on my bike and to take in more calories as well. Overall it was a pretty good day. Tomorrow (4th of July), the plan is to head out early (on the bike at 6:15am) with Matt and get to that 56 mile mark. My goal for my race is under 3 hours. This is looking like a pretty good possibility.

No comments: