Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Hard week

I have had some very hard workouts during the week after my race. I did not want my race to interfere with my training on Monday and I made sure it did not. I had a run, bike, run workout that went great. Wednesday was scheduled long run day. Unfortunately the pizza I ate on Tuesday night did not agree with me and I had to cut it short and ended up moving it to Thursday. Thursday came around and I really did not feel like doing a twelve mile run. I was tired and unmotivated. Then I told myself to get out and just do it!! When the run began, it was kind of overcast and really not too hot outside. After the first 1/2 mile, the rain came. It rained for about 45 minutes. I told myself that since I was already wet, I might as well keep going. Needless to say, I finished. It took me just under 2 hours. I was completely soaked. My legs were starting to chafe from the wet clothes. Next time, I will wear my tri shorts instead of running shorts!

Friday called for a swim and bike. I was only able to get in the swim. It was supposed to be an hour, but I made it about 50 minutes. I had no endurance issues. Instead I was just bored. During this time, to change things up a bit, I ended up swimming some breast and fly. 2600 meters.

Saturday and Sunday had my time occupied with work activities. At the club we had our Seniors and Ladies Club Championships. They were both good tournaments. The champions for both are very strong players deserving of the titles.

Monday's workout consisted of a short but hard bike followed by a run. The bike was on 45 min (14.5 miles), but I kept it in the big ring and the cadence low. This was to try to build a little leg strength and to see how I would handle the run after a hard ride. The run went well. I diverted my path and knocked out 3 miles in 26 minutes. Not bad for me.

Today, I had a great workout. It was another hot day, but I prepared well. My plan called for a 2 hour 30 minute ride followed by a 20 minute run. I decided to stretch out the bike to 3 hours but keep the run on time. I went for exactly 3 hours, 0 minutes and 39 seconds covering 52 miles. My quads were on absolute fire! They were burning. There are quite a few hills on my route and they took their toll. After finishing the bike, I threw on the running shoes and went out for my run. I covered 2.3 miles in 19 minutes. My legs were fatigued at first, but loosened up once I got going. My only real issue was my core temperature overheating. I was not able to cool myself down. The water I was drinking on the bike was warm from the sun. I tried throwing some ice cubes in my fuel belt to cool off the water, but it did not work. Next time, I am going to try throwing water on me instead. This always works during the races, so why not use it during training. It was a good day. We'll see how my legs feel tomorrow!

No comments: